Friday, January 12, 2024

Is Art Not Enough? (101-ish words)

    More often than not, when I look at a grant application for artists/arts organizations, the grantor is looking for not only exceptional art, but it must be sustainable, promote equity and civic participation, be inclusive, tackle issues of climate change/race/gender/sexuality, challenge boundaries and change perceptions.

    Why can't I just create art for the sake of art? Isn't that the purpose of art? 

    A rudimentary Google search of "what is the purpose of art" tells me that art can have five purposes:  ceremonial (ritual/worship), artistic expression (self expression of personal, internal moments, experiences), narrative (tell a story), functional (serving a purpose, like pottery), and persuasive (promoting ideas, philosophies).

    It seems that in our world today, emphasis is not on artistic expression, but persuasive art. 

    I don't want to persuade anyone to do anything. I don't want to be forced into tackling issues that are the hot topics of the 21st century. I want to be who I am, and show what I want to show, and make you feel something. Maybe it'll inspire you, maybe it'll mesmerize you. Maybe you'll get bored. Maybe you'll get angry. Is that not enough? 

(195 words) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Equality on the dance floor (101-ish words)

I recently went out to a club/bar/lounge on a Friday night in a poppin' area. Yeah, that's not a sentence I say often. Oddly enough,...