Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Resolutions, resolutions, and more resolutions

I always get a little over-motivated this time of the year -- with how I'm going to change things in my life for the new year -- I'm going to do more of this, and more of that, and more, more, more. This year, I'm viewing things slightly differently.

Someone said to me, rather than saying 'what are you going to do this year?' when thinking of your resolutions, ask yourself 'who do you want to be this year?' That really resonated with me -- bc that is the crux of what we're trying to achieve with all these resolutions -- trying to become a different/better person.

I do know what I DON'T want to be -- and that is BUSY. My goal is that when asked 'how are you?' or 'how are things going?' that I never respond with 'It's busy.' Because too much of 2013 was busy, hectic, insane. I felt like a hamster, running around in a wheel for a good 6 months of the year, and the rest of the year was just 'normal busy.'

This year, I will not be frantic, stressed, hectic, all-over-the-place, overworked & underpaid. This year, I will be an artist. And everything I will do will be focused on making me further an artist. If I find myself too busy -- then there's something wrong with my approach -- either I'm being inefficient with my time, or taking on too much. Frankly, I think it's the latter bc since I've had a baby, I've become pretty damn efficient with my time.

And I'm not going to feel guilty that I'm not running around at 100 miles an hour.

To basically put what I am saying into better words, is this article from the New York Times 'The Busy Trap.'

So let's see how long this lasts ... fingers crossed :-)

Idleness is not just a vacation, an indulgence or a vice; it is as indispensable to the brain as vitamin D is to the body, and deprived of it we suffer a mental affliction as disfiguring as rickets.

“Idle dreaming is often of the essence of what we do,” -- Thomas Pynchon, in his essay on sloth. 

3 comments:

  1. I like this. I felt relieved this year not having any resolutions at all. But I like the idea of just having a mindset of who you want to be. I want to be a 'scientist' :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. is this all a slam on me? I am honored.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol Vikrant, no it's not a slam on you :-) It's me being tired of feeling like a hamster in a wheel, running, running, running, and feeling like i'm not sure if i'm going anywhere.

    ReplyDelete