Thursday, September 1, 2011

First Pre-Natal Yoga Class

So I finally got around to making it to pre-natal yoga. This has been on my 'to-do' list since 2 trimester started 4 weeks ago, but considering I was out of town for 3 of those weeks, I really wasn't that behind. I yelped and found a place in SoMa that wasn't too expensive and had classes 3 times a week at a time that suited my schedule, so I figured I'd try it out.

I have to admit, I was hesitant to go. Not because my yoga skills suck (they're not that bad; I think it comes with being a dancer and being Indian, lol), but because I was afraid of all the new-age pregnant moms who would be doing everything so by-the-book that it would make me feel like I'm not doing a good job being pregnant (even though I think I'm doing fine). I was especially concerned about my plastic water bottle, because I know I'm supposed to be drinking out of those metal bottles, but I just haven't gotten around to buying one -- again, on my to-do-list.

But it was actually a really good class. There were only 4 students and the other moms (18 weeks, 29 weeks, and 31 weeks) and I'm hoping it will start helping me with my lower back pains, right rib pain, and all the other random pains that I keep getting.

One of the things that I did learn from the teacher, that I didn't know about is that there are more birthing positions than just the one you see in movies (lying down in bed). I didn't know that. Is that something that normal hospitals even offer? Anyway, I haven't started thinking about labor yet ...I'll worry about that closer to the time.

So I'm going to try to make it to the yoga class twice a week. I've also been 'spring cleaning.' I did my pantry the other day (it's amazingly organized!) ... today I cleared off my dining table and emptied out a suitcase of unpacked clothes (I have plenty of those, with all my traveling). There's still so much to go, but I'll eventually get there...

1 comment:

  1. I always wanted to try prenatal yoga at a class but ended up getting a dvd and doing it at home. we learned a lot from our baby birthing class at the hospital as for positions and things, i liked the idea of the birthing ball. i ended up not using any of them tho :) Nesting is really great because after baby is here you will not have time for any of it for a long time!! Also as for your dream about the girl. I had thought my baby was a girl until i had a dream in the 2nd month of pregnancy where my hubby handed me the baby at the hospital and said " here is your son" I was totally shocked after waking up because I was so sure it was going to be a girl. So in my case the dream was right :)

    ReplyDelete