Saturday, September 29, 2007

Muhavare

I've been fortunate enough to have a mother that forced me to speak in Hindi as I was growing up -- something that I cannot thank her enough for. On top of that, she is a very literary person, with excellent language skills. Even my father, who is more left-brained and doesn't boast of poetic license, grew up hearing many idiomatic phrases from his mother. This combination has resulted in me developing a love for Hindi muhavare (मुहावरे- idiomatic sayings).

There are dozens that I've grown up hearing, and more that I hope to discover ... I've been trying to figure out what I wanted to share with this blog ... and I believe this is it. Of course, it will be interspersed with the mundane happenings of my life, and all my 'oh-so-important' thoughts on anything and everything ... but the muhavare will remain stalwart throughout.

1 comment:

  1. मुहावरे (Muhavare)

    सांच को आंच नहीं
    मुहावरे (Muhavare)

    सांच बराबर तप नहीं झूठ बराबर पाप
    मुहावरे (Muhavare)

    एक सुनार की सौ लोहार की
    मुहावरे (Muhavare)

    उल्टा चोर कोतवाल को डाँटे
    मुहावरे (Muhavare)

    नाच न आये आंगन टेढ़ा
    मुहावरे (Muhavare)

    न नौ मन तेल होगा न राधा नाचेगी
    मुहावरे (Muhavare)

    लकीर का फ़कीर
    मुहावरे (Muhavare)

    चैन की नीद सोना ।
    मुहावरे (Muhavare)

    आये थे हरि भजन को , ओटन लगे कपास ।
    मुहावरे (Muhavare)

    जब भगवान देता है तो छप्पर फ़ाड के देता है ।
    मुहावरे (Muhavare)

    जो गरजते हैं वो बरसते नहीं ।
    मुहावरे (Muhavare)

    अपने मुँह मिया मिट्ठू बनना ।
    मुहावरे (Muhavare)

    सौ सोनार की, एक लोहार की ।
    मुहावरे (Muhavare)

    अधजल गगरी, छलकत जाय ।
    मुहावरे (Muhavare)

    खरबूजे को देखकर तरबूजा रंग बदलता है ।
    मुहावरे (Muhavare)

    ReplyDelete